Undergraduate Research

Opportunities for undergraduate students to experience advanced research firsthand can enroll for units in Independent Studies (ARTHI 199 or 199RA) and/or undertake writing an Honors Thesis.

ARTHI 199 Independent Studies

With faculty guidance advanced upper division students (minimum 3.0 GPA) write an individual research paper on a topic of their interest.

ARTHI 199RA Undergraduate Research Assistance

ARTHI 199RA offers an opportunity to assist a faculty member with his or her current research project. Topic, number credits, amount of time, and outcome are determined jointly by the faculty member and student. Either speak with a faculty member with whom you would like to work or consult the list of ongoing research projects on the directory of the Faculty Research Assistance Program (FRAP)  at UCSB.

Honors Thesis Project

With faculty guidance, advanced upper division students (minimum 3.0 overall; 3.5 major GPA) write an extended research paper. This is a two quarter project, intended as a transition into graduate school, culminating in a c. 20-page research paper suitable for use as a writing sample. Students pursuing an honors thesis also have the following opportunities:

Visit the Department Honors Program for more information on admission to the Program and submitting an Honors Thesis.